Apple Cider Vinegar is an old world remedy that people have been using for generations. Apple Cider Vinegar can be extremely helpful, and is one of the most natural healing sources available today. Because of its power, you may find that uncomfortable side effects occur after consuming either the liquid or the pill version of Apple Cider Vinegar which is found at many nutrition stores.
Apple Cider Vinegar is a great detoxifier for the body. It helps to cleanse your body of harmful toxic substances that are found in the environment, foods, and in medications. Apple Cider Vinegar is also great for lowering both cholesterol and blood pressure. It also works like an antioxidant which is a combatant against free radicals, which cause sickness, disease, and faster aging and age related diseases.
In spite of these amazing benefits, apple cider vinegar can also cause shocking side effects that can be troublesome as mentioned below.
Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Drug Interactions – If you take medications you must beware of consuming apple cider vinegar everyday. Since apple cider vinegar can help your body release toxins, it will force you to use the bathroom more often. If you already take medications like lasix, chlorothiazide, and other water pills, you could destroy your kidneys by also consuming Apple Cider Vinegar.
2. Acne and Redness of Skin – As your body eliminates toxins with the use of Apple Cider Vinegar, the toxins will seep out through the skin since the skin is the major organ of elimination.
3. Nausea – If you aren’t used to consuming vinegar in any form, Apple Cider Vinegar can be harmful to a sensitive stomach. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t consume Apple Cider Vinegar, but it does mean that you shouldn’t take it first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach.
4. Decreased Bone Density – If you are taking medication for osteoporosis, found out ahead of time if Apple Cider Vinegar interacts with your medication. It can lower overall bone density which is dangerous.
5. Headaches/Migraines – Another side effect of Apple Cider Vinegar due to detoxifying the body is possible headaches or migraines. When we detoxify ourselves, the brain is releasing toxins. It’s very healthy, but can also be extremely painful.
6. Sore Throat – Apple Cider Vinegar is very acidic and can cause throat irritation. You must mix the Apple Cider Vinegar with plenty of water so that you won’t have this problem.
7. Decreased Mineral Levels – Detoxification of the body gets rid of both good and bad substances. If you are consuming Apple Cider Vinegar for this purpose (or any other reason), make sure to keep mineral levels up by taking a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement. Eat bananas everyday also as potassium will drop substantially.
8. Tooth Enamel Erosion – Acidity in any form, including tea, coffee, wine, soda, and apple cider vinegar will weaken your tooth enamel. After taking a drink mixture of apple cider vinegar and water, rinse your mouth out well. Oh, and make sure to use a straw so that it bypasses your teeth altogether.
9. Itching – If you get severe itching after consuming Apple Cider Vinegar then stop using it until you are certain that it’s not the reason for your itching. If you are not sure, use the Apple Cider Vinegar once again, and if the itching returns, you may not be able to consume it any longer as this would mean you are allergic to it.
10. Stomach Upset/Pain – If you develop a stomach ache after consuming Apple Cider Vinegar, it might be a sign of gas. If you mix the Apple Cider Vinegar with water and baking soda, you can eliminate the stomach upset. Use 8 ounces of water for every 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar along with 1 teaspoon of baking soda.