Walking is one of the safest ways of working out, without being in the gym all the time. You can lose 1 pound per week only by walking, but that depends on how much and how often you walk.
There are some principles that you must insert in your life in order to be able to lose weight and this article will teach you everything you need to know about losing weight through walking.
At a regular pace (4 miles per hour), you can lose up to 400 calories per hour and the number of calories that you lose will be determined by how fast or slow you are walking, and your body weight. You determine the pace you want to go to and you choose how many miles you can do a day. At the same time, you can use a pedometer to help you keep track of how many calories you are burning. You could replace the pedometer with a good wrist match.
Pedometers are usually attached to your clothing and they count the steps you take daily. In order to know how much you need to walk to lose weight, you must learn how much you walk already. To lose weight, a person will take 2000 steps in the mile and a mile burns 100 calories. In case you do not have time to exercise, you need to add in steps to your daily routine if you want to drop some weight. One pound is made of 3500 calories, therefore you will have to induce a 500 calories deficit per day. That is about 10.000 more steps per day. A more advanced pedometer could help you keep count of the burned calories or lost pounds.
To keep things interesting and make sure you do not get bored of always walking the same route, here are a couple of things that you could try:
- Whenever you feel bored of the same scenery, take another route that leads you exactly to the place you are supposed to get to.
- In the winter, buy a treadmill so that you can keep on walking.
- Ask a friend or a family member to join you. Having someone to talk to while walking can be beneficial for both of you. Also, it will keep you from getting bored and giving up.
- Change neighborhoods, streets and parks as often as you want. It will spice things up for you and you will explore new places at the same time.
- Choose the stairs instead of the elevator.
- If you are going by bus, you can get off a couple of stations before you reach home and walk home. If you are driving, park your car as far as possible from the building and walk to the building.
Make sure you check with your doctor before starting to walk. Your first walks should be 15-20 minutes long and then you can gradually increase the time frame. Keep a right posture, do not lean forward and do no walk sloppy. Remember why you are doing this and keep yourself motivated. At the same time, improve or change your diet to sustain your body’s efforts of losing weight.