One day you are fine. The other day, you are feeling sick. Your throat is itching, your eyes are watery and your nose feels like it’s about to liquefy itself. That’s how everything starts. However, if you’re not careful enough, that ‘itch’ and slight cough might get worse. They will make their way towards your chest and complicate things. How does that happen?
The Root of Chest Colds
Usually, this condition occurs when mucus starts accumulating in your chest because of a really bad cold. As a result, you are coughing continuously, you have breathing problems, and if you leave it untreated, you might find yourself with a serious infection. While chest colds are not usually fatal, they can be if you leave them untreated for too long. You can find a lot of medicine on the market, most of them being all kinds of antibiotics.
The worse part about this all is that people buy these over-the-counter drugs without even consulting their doctor. While it may provide relief at the moment, in the long term they are rather harmful and can leave you with serious side-effects. Slowly, but surely, these drugs weaken your immune system, which is why you should first look for an alternative. Some natural remedies prove to be really effective in treating colds, without the additional side-effects. Keep reading, and you will know what to consume to get over your chest cold.
Herbs That Will Treat Your Chest Cold
If you’re the kind of person that refuses to intoxicate your body with chemicals, here are a few remedies for you. See which one fits your fancy the best and get rid of that chest cold.
- Lavender and Eucalyptus Oil: Both of these have strong antiviral and antibacterial properties, which is why they will be some of your best allies in treating a chest cold. Pour a few drops of each in a small pot of boiling water, cover your head with the towel and start inhaling. It will help liquefy the mucus and prevent further damage.
- Garlic: This one is best known for its antiviral properties, making it one of the best natural cures for colds. Chew on a clove of garlic (preferably raw) and accompany it with half a glass of warm water. Taken regularly, it can clear your congested chest.
- Honey and Holy Basil: Mix one teaspoon of honey with 3 or 4 crushed holy basil leaves (fresh ones). You will see that your chest cold will go away fast since honey is considered a natural expectorant.
- Sugar and Ginger Candy: Extract the juice from one ginger and mix it with candy powder or honey. Taken twice a day, it will help relieve your chest cold.
- Herbal Concoctions: Boil together on low flame for 30 minutes some thyme, black pepper, dry basil, peppermint, sugar candy and bay leaves. After straining the concoction, you have to drink it at least twice a day.
If your problems still persist, do not hesitate to call your doctor. They will know what the next step will be to treat your chest cold.