Red clover is a herb that gained popularity in the last few years, being recommended not only by adepts of traditional medicine but also by several doctors, such as the famous Dr. Oz. This plant is well-known especially for its content of isoflavones, which are substances that act like estrogens, reestablishing the balance of these hormones from the human body.
Moreover, red clover is also rich in several essential nutrients, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, niacin, thiamine, chromium, and vitamin C.
- Reduces Menopausal Symptoms
One of the biggest problems of women in menopause is hot flashes. Due to its high amount of isoflavones, red clover is able to reduce hot flashes dramatically, because the body will beneficiate from its proprieties, which are similar to estrogens’ attributes.
Moreover, some recent studies suggest that this herb can help menopausal women with another problem: osteoporosis. This health condition can be defined as a significant bone loss because the bones are losing their mineral density and they become prone to fractures. The same substances, isoflavones, are considered to help pre-menopausal and menopausal women to improve their bones’ health and mineral density.
- Helps You to Deal with PMS
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is also triggered by a disturbance of the estrogen balance from a woman’s body. Mood swings, breast pain, anxiety, poor concentration, tension, insomnia, food cravings, appetite changes, fatigue, constipation or diarrhea, headache, bloating and even joint and muscle pains are symptoms of PMS, which affect millions of women every month. All of them can be eased with this excellent natural remedy: red clover.
- Raises the Good Cholesterol
Red clover cannot be used only by women, but also by men. One of the most appreciated benefits of this herb is that it increases the level of good cholesterol from your blood. This way, the risk of heart and liver diseases is reduced considerably.
- Improves Blood Circulation
When it comes to the bloodstream, red clover has wonderful effects. This natural remedy is used for preventing blood clots and strengthening the blood vessels. The herb makes the blood thinner so that the blood circulation is improved, especial the peripheral one.
- Relieves skin rashes and irritations
Due to its anti-inflammatory proprieties, red clover is also an efficient natural remedy for skin problems, such as irritations and rashes. Ointments made from this herb are usually used for cosmetic purposes.
- Red clover is not recommended for pregnant women or those who are still lactating, as well as for women who are suffering from an estrogen dominance condition.
- Those women who have a history of breast or ovarian cancer are advised not to consume red clover or take red clover extract pills.
- Another warning is for people who regularly take blood thinner medicine because red clover has the same effect, which may have the side effects of an overdose.
- As this herb may interfere with any hormonal pills, women who take oral contraceptives are not allowed to take red clover.
- You should also avoid this herb when taking aspirin.