Hot flushes, excessive night sweating, mood swings, acute headaches, these are just a few of the dozens of symptoms faced by women over 45 due to the hormonal changes that occur in their body during perimenopause and menopause. Menopause is considered a natural period caused by the gradual decrease of estrogen production in the ovaries.
Estrogen is a sex hormone produced by the ovaries which influences the transformations that affect a woman’s body while crossing from youth to biological maturity, such as breast growth or preparing the uterus for fertility. The estrogen secretion in menopausal women decreases progressively causing vaginal dryness.
Other negative effects that can be reduced by natural remedies are: night sweats, insomnia, hot flashes, fatigue, impaired concentration, headaches, depression and anxiety. A long-term lowering of estrogen is a dangerous process that involves the development of several life-threatening complications in women, such as osteoporosis, increased risk of cardiovascular disease or nervous system disorders.
This lack of estrogen that causes so many problems can be reduced by hormone replacement. This replacement can be done with synthetic hormones, but these therapies only worsen the preexisting chronic conditions: high blood pressure, headaches, coronary heart disease, phlebitis, varicose veins.
6 Natural Remedies for Menopause Symptoms
1. Among the herbs used at menopause we mention:
Hawthorn – recommended for palpitations, hot flashes, insomnia and nervous irritability.
Sage – good for hot flashes, excessive sweating and tachycardia.
Thyme – good for dizziness.
2. Valuable in fighting the menopause symptoms are therapeutic mushrooms:
Reishi is a special mushroom, with fabulous soothing and relaxing effects on the neurovegetative system. This mushroom improves malaise, insomnia, nervousness and cardiovascular problems. In addition, certain active ingredients contained by this mushroom protect the bones and prevent osteoporosis.
Maitake mushroom extract is another fabulous natural remedy for menopause symptoms that can improve the major processes of calcium metabolism due to the high content of vitamin D.
Hericium mushroom helps balancing mood swings.
Auricularia mushroom proves to be effective for night sweats.
3. A particularly type of herb that helps in menopause depression is Red Clover. A recent study made by Austrian researchers shows that a substance contained in red clover can reduce depression in women past menopause by 80%.
4. Dill is a fabulous spice, a valuable and powerful phytoestrogen that enhances femininity and can be used as a substitute hormone for perimenopause and menopause symptoms.
5. Wild Yam is another herb that can be used as a natural alternative remedy to hormonal therapy. Just as Black Cohosh, Wild Yam has high beneficial effects on the function of the ovaries.
6. Soy is rich intense estrogen isoflavones. Recent studies show that natural soy reduces the most common and aggressive symptoms of menopause: hot flashes and night sweats. Soy decreases the intensity of these symptoms and improves the overall health.