When it comes to the common cold and flu, there are a lot of homemade remedies that you can use to treat your condition. They are very effective and are made of herbs and spices.
One of the natural remedies that is less known is oregano essential oil and oregano tea, which are the perfect tools against infections.
Oregano and Its Health Benefits
Oregano is known to possess powerful antioxidant and antibacterial qualities. Its high content of calcium, vitamin E, fiber, omega fatty acids, and tryptophan can boost your immune system.
Even more, it’s a potent remedy against inflammations, more specifically, osteoporosis and arteriosclerosis.
Other affections that oregano can treat include bloating, headaches, bronchitis, cramps, asthma, muscle pain, heartburn, and gum disease.
As stated above, its antioxidant content permits the treatment of this broad range of affections. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed that this herb is more potent than apples when it comes to its antioxidant content.
Also, according to another study featured in the International Food Journal of Sciences in 2007, the same antioxidants present in oregano tea are able to reduce your cholesterol.
The list of health benefits that these antioxidants possess does not end here. It’s been proved by a 2008 study that they can ameliorate colon cancer. The study was conducted on lab animals.
Oregano Tea for the Common Cold and the Flu
Oregano is one of the best home remedies for treating the common cold, the flu and other conditions related to them. It is an expectorant and increases the rate at which phlegm is expulsed. It also increases sweat production, therefore speeding the detoxification of your body. To make it as efficient as possible, take a diffuser, add some oregano essential oil into it and slowly inhale the resulted steam.
- One spoon of raw organic honey
- 2 and a half cups of water
- No more, no less than 4 to 6 tablespoons of oregano leaves (they must be fresh)
Chop the oregano leaves, boil a pot of water and then add them. Make sure to simmer them for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Take the pot off the stove and let the leaves simmer for another 5 minutes. Then, you can strain the liquid and add some honey. Drink this tea before it gets cold.
- Besides simply consuming it, there are other ways to use it. If you suffer from a case of dandruff and acne, just let the tea get cool and spread it on your hair or skin.
- For digestive, constipation and gas problems, just consume a cup of this oregano tea after you’ve had a heavy meal. It will eliminate the bloating.
- If you need to treat your sinuses and clear them up, you can simply take a hot, steamy bath after adding a couple of drops of eucalyptus and oregano essential oil into the water.
Most importantly, if you want to obtain excellent results, it’s best to eat as healthy as possible. Other than that, make sure to stay very well hydrated and get proper sleep.