Armpits are a very important part of your body, being both the entry and the exist spots for toxins. For example, after years and years of using commercial deodorant, some its chemical ingredients have definitely gotten into the skin. Switching to a more natural deodorant can be a great choice, but it might not be as easy as you would expect. You might experience some redness, irritations, abundant sweating and an unpleasant odor. However, these are all signs that the detoxification process is taking place.
As humans, we are ashamed of our natural odors and we are trying to mask them with deodorants that have different scents. Sweating is our body’s way of getting rid of toxins, yet we are trying to stop it by applying layer after layer of deodorant. This prevents you from smelling bad and antiperspirants actually help you sweat less, by entering your pores and blocking them. However, studies have shown that blocking these pores is not healthy.
Ongoing research has shown that some deodorants and antiperspirants contain aluminum, which is harmful for your health. There are also other compounds that proved to be unhealthy:
- Formaldehyde – carcinogenic substance
- Aluminum – correlated with breast cancer and Alzheimer
- Antibacterial substances – can affect hormonal balance
- Phthalates – damages your hormones and it’s thought to lead to infertility
- Parabens – hormone disruptors, linked to breast cancer
- Propylene glycol
All these toxins can be easily absorbed into the blood stream and cause health problems. At the same time, under your armpits and around the neck, you can find lymph nodes that help fighting off diseases. The toxins found in deodorants affect these lymph nodes and lead to hormonal imbalance that causes serious damage over your immune system.
Why is armpit detox important and why do I need it?
After years of using commercial deodorant, some chemicals are absorbed into the tissues under the armpits. A good detox is useful for:
- Making your switch to a more natural deodorant easier
- Helping you get rid of these toxins that have been in your body for too long
Switching from a chemical deodorant to a natural one can lead to:
- Potent odor
- Excessive sweating
Your body is trying to adjust to the sudden change and cope with the lack of chemicals. Detox can help your body process the adjustment faster. You can use baking soda or bentonite clay, a clay known for its detox powers. The second is mostly used by people who are allergic to baking soda.
How to detox using baking soda:
- First of all, give your armpits a good scrub when showering
- Keep your armpits wet, apply the baking soda and then use your natural deodorant
- When you feel a smell, repeat the process. You might need to apply the baking soda 4 – 5 times per day, but as days go by, this number should go down
How to detox using bentonite clay
- Take one tablespoon of this clay and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix them together. Add water if necessary.
- Spread a thin layer on your armpits and let it sit for a short period of time. After you are getting used to it, you can leave the mix on your armpits for 20 minutes.
- If you feel any pain, remove the mix. Some redness is normal, but it should go away quickly.
- Repeat the process daily until your skin gets used to the natural deodorant and the odor is gone.
Also, drink lots of water to help your body cleanse easily. Be perseverant and do not let anything set you back.