One of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to acne is that the condition only affects teenagers. The truth is that adults having reached their 30s can still suffer from the unpleasant marks that acne leaves on the skin. It is important to understand the main factors responsible for it.
Common ones are: increased levels of stress, medicines like lithium or those part of anti-seizure treatments, hormonal variations, body weight changes and more. Generally speaking, proper hormone balance is crucial for maintaining a clear skin. Here are a few solutions against adult acne:
- Reduce stress levels. Stress can have numerous negative effects on your body. From cardiovascular diseases to subpar mental performance and, you guessed it, skin problems such as acne. By finding ways to reduce daily stress, you encourage the reduction of excess cortisol, which leads to a healthier 8 hours of sleep every night. Also, 30 minutes of light daily exercise are mandatory. Exercise is a crucial activity that will oxygenate your whole body, skin cells included, leading to better health and appearance overall.
- Do not pop your pimples. That will never be a solution as it can make the condition even worse. What you need to do is fight the cause, not the symptoms, using smart approaches.
- Eat healthy. Some types of foods increase your blood sugar levels quickly, leading to an increased amount of insulin as a response. This can lead to skin problems due to the appearance of pore-clogging cells. It is recommended to eat more whole grains and vegetables while cutting back on carbs such as pasta and white bread. Obviously, sugar itself should be avoided.
- Do not use harsh cleansers. These can easily lead to skin reactions such as irritation or excessive dryness. Mild solutions with 2% salicylic acid are just fine for your skin. Wash gently before bed.
- Cleanse daily. Daily cleansing with the solution mentioned will reduce or eliminate pimples that appear as a result of clogged pores.
- Use products containing salicylic acid during the day. Besides being indicated as a component of your washing solution at night, salicylic acid can be found in several skin products that can be applied during the day. It is an excellent solution for unclogging pores.
- Use moisturizers that won’t block pores (noncomedogenic). Also look for cosmetics that help the lipid barrier of the skin using substances such as ceramides. Protect your complexion against inflammation using ingredients such as niacinamide.
- Consult your doctor for a controlled, professional treatment. While what we mentioned so far is solid general advice, there are specific cases when acne persists. Prescribed treatments such as antibiotics to reduce inflammation or medication that can keep your hormone levels balanced can make a big difference. There are also measures to be applied directly to the affected area.
Acne can be a real destroyer of one’s confidence, yet there are plenty of methods that can help fight it. Whether it’s just a matter of adopting a healthier lifestyle or following medical treatments, sufferers should know they are not alone in their battle.