As surprised as you might be, pollution is not just outside your house, but inside too. A recent statistic of the US Environmental Protection Agency revealed the fact that 90% of people spend most of their time indoors and because of the poor quality of air they breathe, they can acquire great health problems.
So, you could start coughing or feel like your chest is really tight. You could experience headaches and itchy eyes or shortness of breath and even asthma.
Luckily, nature is on our side and can offer us the best solutions to remedy this problem. Naturally, you will start thinking that there might be some plants helping out. And you are right! Here are 10 plants that will make your day better:
- English Ivy – It is one of the best plants to purify the air. It has a dense foliage and can absorb any pollutants and chemicals lingering indoors. It successfully filters the air and eliminates chemicals such as benzene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde or toluene. Also, the air filled with cigarette smoke will be cleared too.
- Peace Lilly – It will absorb the acetone and alcohol from the air, which are emitted by electronics, cleaners and adhesives. It needs to be watered 2 times a week and kept in indirect sunlight. Keep the foliage dust-free to maximize its potential.
- Red-Edged Dracaena – It will eliminate indoor toxins such as xylene, benzene, formaldehyde. The soil should be damp and it will need constant trimming, as the plant is able to grow up to 15 feet tall.
- Boston Fern – This is yet another efficient plant to keep chemicals such as formaldehyde, which can be found in glues, at bay. It has the same effect on toxic metals. It should be regularly watered and fertilized every 2 weeks. Also, it does not need a lot of sunlight.
- Snake plant – Besides reducing the number of chemicals, this plant can also lower the amounts of carbon dioxide. It does not need a lot of water or light to grow. Keep it in your bedroom and enjoy the pure air!
- Bamboo palm – It will keep away any chemical substances and it is also easy to grow. Not much light is needed and the water should also be a rare treat. It grows slow and it is also pet-friendly.
- Spider plant – It is very adaptable and can grow in the most various conditions. It should be regularly watered , but the soil should not be soggy.
- Rubber plant – It vanishes any chemical substances as well as carbon monoxide. It should be fertilized once a month and watered moderately. You should also trim it and clean the dust with a soft cloth.
- Weeping fig – It will purify the air in the room it is placed with the condition of being caressed by the morning sun. The soil should be moist and it should be regularly watered .
- Florist’s Chrysanthemum – Also known as florist’s daisy, this beautiful flower will purify the air and remove any malicious chemicals. It needs to be watered 2-3 times a week and the sunlight should also be bright, yet indirect.