Home – what a lovely and comforting word! It is the place where we can relax, be ourselves and feel safe. However, there might be some hidden dangers you should be aware of. These dangers can trigger some serious conditions, so keep on reading this article and check your house afterward:
Shower stalls, windows, doors, dark damp places, mold grows everywhere. If you have a leaking plumbing system, mold might be there, releasing its pores.
Air conditioning and heating systems might also host this unpleasant guest. Detecting a mold infestation is crucial because it can lead to serious allergies. Here are the symptoms you should be looking for:
- Watery eyes
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach aches
- Memory loss
Over time, these symptoms can lead to asthma, sinus problems, and gastrointestinal ailments.
This is an extremely toxic substance that comes from lead painting. When this paint starts to degrade, there will be chunks and dust of it on the floor, countertops, furniture, and clothing – everywhere.
It can cause brain damage and growth problems in children, miscarriages, reproduction issues, high blood pressure or nerve disorders.
- Household cleaners
Bleaching agents, detergents, soaps and all those products that help you clean your house are filled with toxic substances. A constant inhalation of them will cause damage to the organs by ruining the balance between the acid levels in the blood.
The sodium hydroxide which can be found in the oven cleaners will burn the skin. Also, there are many other components that mimic the function of some hormones.
They contain chemical substances such as polychlorinated biphenyls, permethrin or organotin that will bring a lot of damage to the body in the long term. They are also filled with benzene, toluene, and formaldehyde which will cause hallucinations and nerve damage.
- Air fresheners
They contain some volatile organic compounds such as glycol ethers based on ethylene and terpenes, which in reaction with the ozone will give birth to pollutants such as formaldehyde.
- Baby bottles
If they are made from plastic, then yes, they will damage the health of your baby. They contain bisphenol-A, a chemical used for hardening the plastic, eliminating bacteria and preventing rusting.
If they are overheated, the compound in this plastic bottles will mingle with the milk, causing early puberty in females, obesity or reproductive disorders in males.
- Naphthalene balls
Unconsciously, this substance can be inhaled, causing nausea, abdominal cramps, anemia, eye problems or cancer. It can be absorbed through the skin also.
- Clothes dryer
Repeatedly drying the clothes after washing them, will produce a lint inside the machine. It is extremely combustible and dangerous.
They are usually filled with parabens, mercury or formaldehyde. They all have the power to trigger cancer, just like in the case of silicone.
- Non-sticking pots
They might help a lot around the kitchen, but it doesn’t mean that they are good for your health. They are made from Teflon, which can have serious hormonal effects: on men and women it will cause low levels of testosterone and in women a high level of estrogen, each of these with their consequences.