Sinus headaches can make it impossible for you to go about your day, as you will have trouble focusing even when it comes to the trivial tasks. What leads to them is the inflammation and abnormal pressure in your sinus cavities due to an excess of bacteria.
Besides the continuous pain, other symptoms are swelling, fever and a stuffy nose. You may also experience bursts of increased pain when bending over.
Luckily, there are various home remedies that can help you fight the inflammation of your sinus cavities and help restore the proper mucus balance. While the medical solution of antibiotics works well, they can come with side effects and often cost more than what you could try at home. See which of these give you the best relief.
Use a steam treatment
A steam treatment for your face can bring the necessary moisture in your sinus cavities and solve the common congestion problems. Here are the steps:
- Boil some water in a bowl.
- Cover your face with a towel in order to capture the steam vapours properly.
- Keep your face at least 30 cms away from the hot water, to avoid burns.
- Breathe deeply and let the steam go in your nostrils, exhale through your mouth. Do it 5 times, have a short break, then drop down to 2.
- Blow your nose during and after the treatment, so you can clear your sinuses.
- Repeat the process for 10 minutes.
- You can do the treatment once every 2 hours for quick improvement.
Use a hot and cold compress approach
Alternating between compress temperatures is an excellent solution for dealing with two main aspects of sinus headaches. Hot compresses serve to reduce the pressure in your cavities while allowing you to eliminate excess mucus. Cold compresses, on the other hand, reduce the pain in the area due to stimulating the constriction of your blood vessels. The procedure is extremely simple:
- Soak a towel in warm water and place it on your sinus area, leave it to act for 3 minutes.
- Soak a towel in cold water this time and repeat the procedure.
- Do this 2-4 times a day.
Inhale apple cider vinegar vapors
This excellent ingredient comes with powerful anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that are ideal for fighting the very cause of headaches.
Combine ½ cup of water and apple cider vinegar and let the mixture boil. After it cools down for a minute, inhale the vapors – do it several times each day.
Drink tomato tea
- Mix 2 cups of tomato juice, 3 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and any kind of hot sauce.
- Heat it well, then drink slowly and inhale the vapors.
- Drink 3 cups of this tea each day.
Inhale tea tree oil vapors
Tea tree oil is an excellent way of battling the cause of your sinus infection and, therefore, eliminating the pain. It has powerful antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal properties that can eliminate all the harmful agents responsible for the condition.
Add a few drops of tea tree oil in boiling water and inhale the steam. Repeat until you are completely cured.
As you can see, it doesn’t take more than a few simple measures to find relief – try these, and you are very likely to become a big believer in home remedies if you weren’t already.