Who does not want healthy, pearly white teeth? We all dream of having that perfect white smile, without resorting to the harmful procedures that dentists perform. That is why we buy toothpastes that promise to give us what we want. But at what cost?
If you try to read all the ingredients the toothpastes contain, you will get lost in all those weird names that only a person with a degree in chemistry would understand. We will list some of the harmful ingredients that should not be found in toothpastes, but unfortunately, they are.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) – This chemical is used to create the toothpaste foam, but studies have revealed that DEA can cause organ toxicity. It might also produce carcinogenic substances when it is mixed with other chemicals.
- Propylene Glycol – This is a surfactant that works like a detergent. It is added not only to toothpastes but also to many other beauty products to prevent them from freezing. Propylene glycol is a skin irritant and may cause organ toxicity if used in large amounts.
- Triclosan – This antibacterial agent is added to the toothpaste to help ward off gingivitis and plaque. Although it is effective in killing bacteria, Triclosan is also linked to many other problems such as hormonal imbalance, antibiotic resistance and even cancer.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – This chemical is also used to create foam, but it is also responsible for temporarily disrupting the functioning of the taste buds. This is the reason why everything you eat or drink tastes bad after brushing your teeth. SLS is also believed to cause canker sores and leads to the formation of the carcinogen chemical known as 1,4-Dioxane.
- Artificial sweeteners – they make the toothpaste taste good, but they can also cause vertigo, nausea, digestive issues and dizziness.
- Fluoride – It helps strengthen the teeth, but too much of it can accumulate in the tissues over time and disrupt the proper functioning of the nervous system and the production of hormones and enzymes.
The variety of toothpastes available today and the convincing commercials make it hard for us to consider all these harmful ingredients that they contain. It can be hard or even impossible to find a toothpaste made of natural ingredients, with no chemicals and no preservatives. So, why not do it yourself? Yes, you can make your homemade toothpaste from only three ingredients.
How to make your own healthy toothpaste
What you need is one teaspoon of fine sea salt, 2/3 cup of baking soda, distilled water and 8-10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
Take a small bowl and mix the salt, the baking soda and the peppermint oil. Add a teaspoon of water and stir. Continue to add distilled water until you get the desired consistency. Put the paste into a clean recipient with a cover. It will take less than two minutes to get a healthy toothpaste that can be used by your entire family, even by your children. No more chemicals that can ruin your health!