Lip balms are extremely important, especially during the winter time, because they keep the lips hydrated. They are also useful in the hot season, because they protect you against the damaging UV rays. Still, it is well-known that the commercial lip balms are rich in chemicals and toxic agents that can actually damage the surface of your lips. So, what would the solution be? It’s simple: prepare your own lip balm. It’s much simpler than it sounds and much healthier.
Homemade Lip Balm – Recipe
– Beeswax (3 teaspoons)
– Essential oil (orange, strawberry, vanilla, eucalyptus, jasmine or chamomile) – 4 drops
– Cocoa butter (4 teaspoons)
– Lanolin (2 teaspoons)
– Pure honey (1/2 teaspoon)
– Pure olive oil (1/2 teaspoon)
– Pure sweet almond oil (4 teaspoons)
To begin with, if you can’t find cocoa butter, you can use coconut oil (3 teaspoons). Since cocoa butter is solid, you will need to scrape it to obtain the 4 teaspoons. Add some water in a saucepan and put it on the stovetop. Use a second bowl (made of steel or solid glass) to add the beeswax, cocoa butter, lanolin and oils. Put the bowl into the warm water, but don’t let it touch the bottom of the saucepan. Turn the heat to medium and don’t let it boil while the bowl is in the container.
You will see how the beeswax will melt. Throughout this time, you will have to stir the mixture until it melts completely and becomes homogeneous. At that point, add the honey and keep mixing. Finally, turn off the heat and put the bowl aside.
Add the essence or essential oil and put the mixture into small containers or jars that you can carry with you everywhere you go. When it cools down, you will have your very own natural lip balm. You can prepare the lip balm anytime you want and use different flavors and aromas to see what suits you best. Here are some recommendations:
– You can use kitchen ingredients to flavor your lip balm: cardamom, chocolate chips, lemon, cinnamon or coffee powder.
– If you’re more of an eccentric person, then you will be looking for flavors like vanilla essence, strawberry essence, sweet almond oil or even peppermint.
– You can also add jasmine or rose petals to the mixture. The same goes for the fresh herbs such as rosemary, basil or mint.