While proving fatal in almost all cases more than 100 years ago, the flu is today a very common treatable respiratory condition, usually occurring during the cold season. The flu, a viral infection by nature, affects the upper respiratory tract doing damage to the lungs, throat, and nose. It is a very contagious disease, spreading at an alarming speed through physical contact with an infected individual or by coughs and sneezes.
The most common symptoms of flu range from fatigue and shivers to high temperature. While it can go away naturally, without needing treatment, people who are over 65, pregnant women, people with heart issues and deficient immune system and, most importantly, kids, risk developing complications that can result in severe damage to the body or even death.
Therefore, the wisest thing to do is to treat it as soon as possible. Fortunately, there are several home remedies that you can use to eliminate the flu once and for all. One of them is ginger.
Why is ginger so effective against the flu?
- Since flu weakens the digestion process, ginger can counteract that by stimulating the appetite and digestion
- Toxins are eliminated out by producing sweat which heats the body
- Ginger is rich in antiviral and antibacterial substances that are good for treating the flu
- Has potent expectorant qualities, eliminating the excess mucus from the lungs and sinus
- Heals the irritation, pain, and discomfort due to its anti-inflammatory qualities
How to treat the flu with ginger
There are multiple ways of using ginger to treat the flu. You can choose from dry ginger, fresh ginger or even ginger powder for teas.
You can consume ginger as it is:
- Cut the ginger into small pieces
- Chew it methodically
- Do it two times a day
- Ginger Tea
You can make ginger tea by using dry ginger, ginger powder or fresh ginger, depending on your preferences. Besides treating the flu, ginger tea enhances the immune system and blood circulation.
- Pour 1 ½ cup of water into a pan
- Put the pan on the stove in order to heat the water until it boils
- Add 1-inch of ginger powder, dry ginger, and fresh ginger
- Leave it there for 5 minutes and remove the pan from the stove
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Consume the tea
- Ginger Juice
Ginger juice has antibacterial properties that are potent against infections. Honey, on the other hand, soothes the throat.
- Pour ½ spoon of honey with one teaspoon of ginger juice in a container
- Stir the ginger juice and the honey until they combine in a homogenous liquid
- Consume it
- You can also chew fresh ginger pieces along with the mixture presented above
- Do it as frequently as possible
- Ginger Steam
Ginger steam is effective in treating fever, sore throat or a runny nose triggered by influenza.
- Cut the ginger into small pieces after carefully washing it
- Add the small ginger pieces into a big bowl filled with boiling water
- Cover your head with a towel and bends over the bowl
- Keep a safe distance from the bowl of 3 to 5 inches
Influenza can be a nasty thing to deal with. Hopefully, by following the tips presented above, you will get rid of the flu in no time.