Food is more than just something we feed our bodies with. It can also be seen as a manner of healing our bodies, as there are certain types of foods that will act as a medicine and which will defend the body against harmful agents.
Here are 13 foods that can easily do that:
- Celery – It’s the no. 1 tool when it comes to detox. Celery seeds can also cleanse the liver, as they have a lower level of uric acid. It is rich in diuretic properties because it helps the body eliminate fluids and toxins that are excessive.
- Cayenne Pepper – It contains capsaicin, a substance that stimulates the process of detoxification through sweating and by increasing the blood flow.
- Watercress – This is a great way of energizing the enzymes that are in charge of cleansing the liver. It has a spicy taste, so it works best as a salad leaf. Add a bit of watermelon and some feta cheese too.
- Citrus Fruits – Whether it’s lemons, limes, oranges or grapefruits, they are all great detoxifiers because of the phytonutrient limonoid compound they contain. It basically helps forming enzymes in the liver, which will flush out the toxins.
- Alliums – Or more commonly known as onions, garlic or shallots. They contain flavonoids which will stimulate the production of glutathione, an antioxidants that contributes to the elimination of the carcinogens and the toxins in the body.
- Beets – The betaine is a compound that will encourage the liver to create enzymes that will get rid of the toxins existing in the body.
- Artichoke – Silymarin contained by this thistle is an antioxidant that is going to boost the function of the liver. Steam it in water that has lemon juice, rosemary and thyme in it.
- Avocado – It does not need further presentations, as everyone knows how powerful it is in detoxification processes. Glutathione is a compound that works in this direction.
- Dandelion Greens – A strong diuretic that helps the bile have a smoother flow. Steam it and toss it with some garlic, olive oil and some sliced chilies.
- Fennel – Toxic substances are flushed by the body in a natural manner with a regular consumption of this vegetable.
- Cilantro – Besides the fact that it has antibacterial and anticancer properties, it also helps the body to eliminate toxins and heavy metals. Add it to a salad and enjoy its properties.
- Flaxseed – The soluble and insoluble fibers help with the elimination of toxins. They are also very easy to be integrated into the diet. Just grind them and place them in your next smoothie.
- Brassicas – The bitter flavor they have is given by the glucosinolate, a compound that encourages the elimination of toxins. Try eating more broccoli, cabbage or Brussels sprouts.
Try to integrate these foods into your diet for a healthier state of your body, for preventing and fighting harmful conditions and, also, for an improved state of mind.