Epilepsy is a neurological problem that leads to recurrent fits or seizures. Seizures can last for a short period of time, but, in time, they can develop to last longer periods of time. Seizures are provoked by the abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Usually, these seizures happen without any warning and can include convulsions, problems of speech, movement, vision or muscle spasms. Some persons can also faint or lose consciousness. Family history, brain tumors, vascular diseases, dementia, head injury and other issues of this sort can increase the risk of epilepsy.
While seizures are really scary, they do not cause mental illnesses or intellectual disability. You can reduce the number of seizures by taking medicines, and you can also make lifestyle changes and use natural remedies.
- Garlic – its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antispasmodic characteristics reduce the free radicals in your body and aid by maintaining the proper functioning of your nervous system.
- Epsom salt – studies conducted on this salt have shown that it changes the relationships between the brain cells, therefore reducing the number of seizures or convulsions.
- Coconut oil – due to its fatty acids with therapeutic properties, coconut oil is very helpful in the battle against epilepsy. This product provides energy to the brain cells, reducing the symptoms of epilepsy. To benefit from its properties, you should consume 1 teaspoon of coconut oil (extra-virgin) 3 times per day. After you get used to it, you can increase the amount. You can also replace other oils you use for cooking with this one.
- Limes – regular consumption of limes improves the blood circulation to the brain and also regulates the calcium levels that might interfere with brain functionality.
- Winter melon – ½ cup of winter melon juice in the morning on an empty stomach should provide you with all its medicinal and nutritional properties as well as keep your nervous system healthy.
- Passion flower – a chemical compound, known under the name of chrysin, can be found in this plant and aids by reducing the number of seizures. This chemical raises the gamma aminobutyric acid in the brain. Do not consume passion flower if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Yoga – yoga is known to relax your body and help you get rid of the unnecessary stress that builds during the day. Due to its combination of deep breaths, meditation and postures, yoga will reduce the seizures and the epilepsy symptoms.
- Exercise – daily exercise improves the energy and mood and also sends feel-good hormones to the brain, which helps through the relaxation process. The water intake is very important while exercising, so make sure you drink water before and after exercising.
- Acupuncture – using fine needles, this old Chinese method can restore the energy (qi) in your body and helps you relax.
- Vitamins intake – taking your vitamins and having a healthy diet helps a lot when dealing with epilepsy. Vitamins E and B are very important for your brain activity.
Remember that epilepsy is not an easy disease and you should tell the people close to you what to do in case of a seizure.