The Risks of a Vitamin Overdose

Vitamins are a necessary (good) evil that will help our bodily functions work properly. They help with growth, which is why it is really recommended that children have a diet rich in vitamins.

vitamin-overdose

The vitamins that help most with our metabolism, eyes, skin and all of our other bodily conditions are Vitamin A, B complex, C, D, E, K, Biotin, and Folic Acid. The can be either fat soluble or water soluble. In the case of fat-soluble vitamins, they will be assimilated within the fatty tissue. On the other hand, vitamins that are water soluble get eliminated from the body through secretions.

Checking for the Right Dosage

Good things are always good… if taken moderately. Food, coffee, even water can be dangerous if you consume too much of them. Such is the case of vitamins. Vitamin overdoses are not that common, especially with the water soluble ones which get eliminated rather quickly. However, you need to consider your age, your sex, the place you live in and any special conditions of your health. These may affect the way vitamins get assimilated by your body.

For example, if you live in an area that isn’t blessed by too much sunlight, you’ll want to eat food that is rich in vitamin D or take some supplements. Still, you may want to check with your doctor to see what would be the right dosage for you considering your physique.

Vitamin Overdoses – They are Possible!

A vitamin overdose also goes by the name of hypervitaminosis or vitamin poisoning. Not only can it be dangerous for your health, but it can also turn out to be fatal. Our recommendation would be to get your vitamins in natural ways (food and drinks) rather than from processed pills and other artificial sources.

While water soluble vitamins are not that easy to overdose, you can easily lose track of your fat soluble vitamin intake. An overdose of such vitamins can cause nausea, fatigue, hair loss, bone related ailments, nerve damage, vision impairment, headache, upset stomach, gallbladder stones and diarrhea.

A backache is also a common symptom of a vitamin overdose. Since vitamin A, D, E and K are storable vitamins, they are among the most common cases. Overdoses of vitamins are known to cause pain in the joints and the bones due to inflammation which stretches towards the back. It is usually the minerals accompanying the vitamins that cause most of the side effects of an overdose.

However, a vitamin overdose can be easily treated. The first step would be to immediately stop taking the dosages and consult your doctor. If the overdose is mild, you may only have to stop taking the supplements. Critical cases, however, will need further treatment based on intravenous fluids and antidotes which will flush out the vitamins from your body.

To prevent an overdose, the first safe step would be to consult your doctor. They will know the exact dosage you will need to take so as to not experience any side effects.

If you like it, share it

[mashshare]

    Post comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

    Please Do the Math * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.