Atherosclerosis is a dangerous disease. If left untreated, it can result in awful repercussions. Arteries are blood vessels that carry the crucial oxygen to the heart and all the other parts of your body. If plaque builds up inside of the arteries, then you will develop atherosclerosis. This plaque we speak of is actually made up from calcium, fat, cholesterol and other substances that are usually found in blood. On the long run, the plaque narrows your arteries, limiting the flow of oxygen-rich blood. As a result, your heart and organs will suffer. If you don’t prevent the arteries from clogging, there is a higher risk of strokes, heart attacks and even death.
Causes of Atherosclerosis
There is no exact answer for what causes atherosclerosis. Studies have shown that certain habits, traits and conditions can increase the risk of developing this medical condition. All of the possible causes mentioned above are known as risk factors. The good news is that some of these factors can be controlled. An unhealthy diet, smoking and a lack of physical exercises can be changed with a bit of will and ambition coming from the person who has these habits. The bad news is that some things like family history and age cannot be controlled. Most of the people that suffer from atherosclerosis don’t even show symptoms or signs.
In order to prevent this disease, you need to consult a doctor and ask for medication. Besides medical procedures, you could go through some lifestyle changes. If you want to live a healthier life, these are a few suggestions of what you could do for your wellbeing:
- Stop Smoking. Smoking was never a good idea. It oxidizes cholesterol, causing it to contribute to atherosclerosis by depositing in your blood vessels. This is maybe one of the most important changes you could do for your health and life quality. If you stop now, you can reduce the risk of a stroke or a heart attack.
- Exercise More. Even 10 minutes of walking every day can do wonders for your health. Exercising maintains the health of the vessels that deliver oxygen-rich blood to the heart. A few minutes of exercising per day can prevent the arteries from further damage.
- Control Cholesterol. Healthy levels of cholesterol are different for most of the people. The body needs good cholesterol in order to function properly, so keeping them too low is no good either. Make your doctor a visit and discuss on how to keep your cholesterol at the perfect level.
To prepare this drink you need:
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of tomato juice
Take the stalks of celery and chop them small. Put the pieces of celery in the blender, along with the other ingredients and mix them very well. When the texture is all smooth and juicy, pour the content in a glass. Drink this juice thrice a day and you will keep your body safe from harm.