Lately, we have all heard about the turmeric milk, which is a great medicinal drink for a wide array of conditions. It originates from the Ayurvedic medicine and it’s useful for enhancing the vitality and health. Most people use this remedy as a sleep aid, but it is equally effective in treating headaches, common colds, arthritis, sore throats, menstrual cramps, indigestion, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea.
Moreover, the turmeric milk can combat prostate, colon, liver and breast cancer and can fight against depression. At the same time, it boosts circulation, promotes digestive health, accelerates wound-healing, purifies the blood, detoxifies the liver, and combats neurological disorders and cardiovascular diseases.
The curcumin in the turmeric is the active ingredient that makes this spice extremely healthy and helpful. Curcumin comes with antiseptic, antioxidant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a carminative herb and it has been long used in the Chinese and Ayurveda medicine. The black pepper in this drink is also extremely healthy, as the piperine in it will enhance the absorption of the curcumin.
This miraculous drink contains various other spices such as cardamom. This one combats bad breath, promotes detoxification and improves digestion. Cinnamon regulates blood sugar levels, enhances circulation and diminishes bad cholesterol. Finally, this recipe contains coconut oil that it well known for lowering cholesterol and boosting immunity.
Spiced Turmeric Milk – Recipe
– 1 glass of low-fat milk
– Turmeric (1/2 teaspoon)
– Black pepper (1/4 teaspoon)
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1 cardamom pod
– Virgin coconut oil (1/2 teaspoon)
– 1 teaspoon of honey
So, first of all, warm the milk in a pot and after that add the turmeric. While the milk it still on the heat, add the rest of the ingredients: the powdered black pepper, the cinnamon stick and the crushed cardamom seeds. Melt the coconut oil and add ½ teaspoon of it to this solution. Mix well and let the mixture boil. After that, let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Strain the liquid immediately after turning the heat off and add the honey. You can add more than 1 teaspoon if you wish.
This is your spiced turmeric milk that you can drink every day. For better effects, make sure you consume it before bedtime. This way, you’ll have a restful and long sleep.
Tips and Tricks
– If you are a vegan, you can use almond milk or coconut milk instead of regular milk. You can also use stevia instead if honey.
– Your turmeric milk will be even more powerful if you add grated ginger (1 teaspoon) to it.
– If the black pepper is freshly ground, you can use less than ¼ teaspoon as suggested in the recipe.
– You can also prepare a turmeric tea paste. For this, you must heat black pepper powder (1/2 teaspoon) with, water (1/2 cup) and turmeric powder (1/4 cup). Heat them, until you obtain a paste. Use a glass of milk and mix the paste with the milk. You can add the cardamom and the cinnamon and let the milk boil. After it has cooled down, you can drink it. If there is any remaining paste, you can keep it in the refrigerator and use it the next day.
– You can replace the cinnamon stick with cinnamon powder (1/2 teaspoon).