The infection of the sinuses, commonly known as sinusitis, affects around 37 million people in the United States every year. This means that one in every ten Americans will be affected by sinusitis and its unpleasant symptoms.
The first step when you have sinusitis is to go to the doctor, who will prescribe pharmaceutical sinus medications. Unfortunately, these medications are accompanied with a variety of side effects, which can make you feel worse than before.
What Is A Sinus Infection?
Sinusitis is the inflammation of the sinus tissue. Clean and healthy sinuses will allow us to inhale and breathe normally. When they are swollen and filled with fluid, they create the proper environment for the growth of viruses, bacteria, fungi and germs. These are the ones that cause the infection, blocking the sinuses, restricting or completely blocking the airflow.
There are several types of sinusitis, each with different symptoms, duration, and frequency:
- Acute Sinusitis – has symptoms similar to a cold, such as stuffy, runny nose and it usually goes away in about 2 to 4 weeks.
- Subacute Sinusitis – lasts from 4 to 8 weeks, during which the inflammation of the sinuses does not disappear.
- Chronic Sinusitis – lasts for more than eight weeks.
- Recurrent Sinusitis – means that the patient is affected by several sinus infection attacks each year.
Symptoms of Sinus Infection
The symptoms of sinusitis are not serious health problems, but they are annoying and can affect the patient’s quality of life. If they are left untreated, they can develop to the point where medical attention might be required.
Here are the most frequently met sinus infection symptoms:
- Stuffy, runny nose
- Nasal swelling
- Congestion and cough
- Facial pressure or pain
- Dental pain
- Bad breath
- Loss of the sense of smell
Side Effects of Sinus Medication
As mentioned before, the doctor will prescribe some sinus infection medication to get you better. Even if the medication alleviates the sinusitis symptoms, it will come with its own side effects which are sometimes worse than the ones of the infection. Some of them include nausea, upset stomach, dizziness, mood swings, allergic reactions, nervousness, hallucinations and trouble in sleeping.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infections
What you don’t know is that there is a natural treatment that can help you get rid of the annoying sinusitis, with no side effects. It is based on apple cider vinegar, which has amazing health benefits and nutritious ingredients. It can help reduce the sinusitis symptoms and clear sinus cavities, and also boost the immune system to help it fight the disease.
The anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar make it a fantastic natural remedy for sinusitis. Here is how to use it to get rid of the sinus infection in no time:
- First, mix half a cup of water with half a cup of apple cider vinegar
- Then pour it in a pan on high heat until it starts to steam
- Turn off the heat and start inhaling the steam for about 5 minutes with your mouth and eyes closed
- Repeat the procedure regularly
You can also drink the mixture, but the steam has immediate and most efficient results. Give up on harmful medication and let nature cure sinusitis.