Fresh lemonades are the best thing to drink during a hot summer. Not only does drinking lemonade quench your thirst, but it also provides various other health benefits. Homemade lemonade made out of fresh lemons is also healthier compared to its store-bought counterpart which is high in artificial lemon flavoring and fructose corn syrup. But what do you think about making your lemonade an even healthier drink?
A Fermented Drink that Cleanses Your System
That’s right; you can make fermented lemonade that holds both the qualities of lemons and it’s also probiotic. The drink in question contains whey, a protein-rich liquid from yogurt that includes enzymes and healthy bacteria which help keep your digestive tract healthy. This, in turn, maintains the immune system healthy, resulting in a much healthier you. This drink is very efficient in helping your body get rid of the bad bacteria that formed its path within your body. And that isn’t where the good things stop; it helps control your weight, relieves joint pain and various other health issues. Whey is also loaded with amino acids that are essential when it comes to supporting the biological functions vital to your body. It’s also full of nutrients such as iron, potassium, vitamin B2 and zinc.
The other main ingredient for this drink is represented by lemons, which are rich in Calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and a load of vitamins A, B-complex and C. Lemons also have antibacterial powers, along with antiviral and immune-boosting powers. It’s a good way to detox your body and also quench your thirst.
How to Make this Probiotic Lemonade
Not only is it good to drink, but this lemonade is also easy to make. You will only need a few things to get started:
- 2 cups fat yogurt (to make the whey)
- Rubber band and cheese cloth
- 10-12 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-gallon jug
- Measuring cup
- Lemon squeezer
- Mixing spoon
- A bowl
Now that we have all the things we need, let’s get started on making the drink:
- Place the cheesecloth over the bowl and pour the yogurt over it.
- Tie the cheesecloth with the rubber band and let the pouch hang above the bowl.
- Let the whey collect in the bowl for a couple of hours until you gather about one cup of it.
- In a separate bowl, squeeze the lemons, and then pour the juice into the jug.
- Next, add the whey you just obtained from the yogurt.
- Add the sugar (you can add less than 1 cup, depending on your taste)
- Add some warm water, to allow the sugar to melt.
- Mix it all with a spoon to distribute all the ingredients.
- Fill the rest of the jar with cold, filtered water.
- Leave it for 2-3 days at room temperature to allow fermentation.
After this, your probiotic lemonade will be ready to drink. It’s cool, healthy, and two to three glasses a day can give you all the health benefits you need.