It is needless to say that acne, especially the severe type, leads to a multitude of self-esteem issues. In some cases, people suffer so much because of this skin problem that they even refuse to take part in some activities, such as pool parties.
Even though the face seems to be the primary target of this chronic condition, the truth is that the neck, shoulders, back, chest, and upper arms are not ‘forgotten’ by acne, just that it is simpler to hide it under the clothes. Unfortunately, a large number of people are affected by this problem. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, in the U.S., more than 50,000,000 people of all ages deal with acne, which makes it the most common skin condition.
If you have already tried several natural remedies and cosmetic treatments and nothing worked, you probably feel discouraged. But you don’t have to give up! The following mask has a powerful ingredient, known for its fantastic antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory proprieties. For this reason, turmeric helps you not only to treat the effect of this skin condition but also the cause of it. A medical study published in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin in 2013 revealed that the active compound in turmeric – curcumin – inhibits the growth of P. acne bacteria. Moreover, turmeric eases the inflammation, improving the redness and blemishes considerably. Its antioxidant proprieties also contribute to a healthy, glowing skin.
How to prepare turmeric face mask?
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of gram flour
- the juice of ¼ lemon (optional)
Take a mixing bowl and put the plain yogurt there first. Make sure this ingredient is free from whey. Otherwise, the texture of the mask will be affected.
Add two or three teaspoons of gram flour and mix it with the yogurt.
Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder and add it to the mixture, and stir once again. For the best results, use organic turmeric.
Add the lemon juice and mix it in until you obtain a smooth paste.
Apply the mask on your face or the affected skin, preferably with a makeup brush. Let it dry completely.
Take a damp cotton towel and scrub off the mask. Then rinse it thoroughly with cold or lukewarm water.
The other ingredients – how do they fight acne?
This mask uses more ingredients, not only turmeric. However, they are not randomly chosen only for the mask’s texture, but also for their wonderful skin benefits.
- The lactic acid from yogurt helps rejuvenate your skin. It eliminates the dead skin cells and also reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Moreover, it rebalances the pH level of your skin.
- Gram flour also contributes to cleaning your skin. This flour absorbs excess sebum and inhibits acne breakouts.
- Lemon is a natural astringent which fights acne by drying it out. Furthermore, lemon also has antibacterial proprieties, so that it can inhibit the action of the bacteria which cause the skin condition. However, if you have sensitive skin, you can skip it in this mask.