People suffering from cystic acne will agree on this: it’s annoying, painful, and diminishes your self-esteem. It targets people of all ages, especially teenagers. The primary cause of this condition is hormonal change during puberty.
Since the levels of androgen hormones tend to grow rapidly, it determines the production of excess oil. That leads to clogging the pores, and as the bacteria settles in, the condition known as cystic acne is developed.
In the case of hormonal imbalance, cystic acne can affect adults too. Although this condition is difficult to treat, by embracing healthy dieting practices, diminishing stress and engaging in an exercise routine, you can lessen the severity of the condition.
In the meantime, you could also try curing your acne condition with a range of natural remedies.
Due to its combination of anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, baking soda aims at reducing inflammation. Meanwhile, it absorbs the excess oil and eliminates the dead skin from the surface through exfoliation. Additionally, baking soda fights against the bacteria triggering the infection, tightening the skin and making it look radiant.
- Take two tablespoons of baking soda and combine them with water to obtain a thin paste.
- After washing your face in advance, spread the paste on the area covered with acne.
- After leaving the paste for 15 minutes, rinse it off.
- Massage some moisturizer into your skin.
- Repeat the procedure daily.
- If your skin is sensitive, you should include three tablespoons of cucumber juice to diminish the sting sensation and add a soothing effect to the mask.
- In a bowl, combine 1 ½ tablespoon of Epsom salt, two tablespoons of baking soda and warm water.
- Stir the elements mentioned until you obtain a paste.
- Use the paste as a mask, and apply it evenly on the affected area.
- Since this mask has over-drying effects, you should add a drop of clove oil for an extra hydrating feature. Additionally, clove oil does a fantastic job at fighting cystic acne. Still, the oil should be diluted since it’s really
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another powerful remedy we recommend for curing cystic acne. Thanks to its antibacterial properties, it permeates deeply into the skin, disinfecting the pores, unclogging the glands that secret oil, and drying out blemishes.
- Take a cotton ball, on which you have added two drops of tea tree oil, and dab it on your face.
- Allow it to stay overnight, and, in the morning, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat until you notice significant improvements.
Extra tip: if your skin is sensitive, we recommend you to dilute 1 part of tea tree oil in three parts of water. That contributes to diminishing irritation and the burning sensation caused by the oil.
Note: When taken internally, tea tree oil has toxic effects. Therefore, you should avoid that. Additionally, before using this remedy, it’s best to determine whether you’re allergic to tea tree oil or not. Do the patch test on a small portion of your arm before.