The blood pumped by the heart through a network of arteries provides the necessary amount of nutrients and oxygen needed by the body and is of great help when it comes to removing waste. Heart disease, the main cause of death in men and women, refers to all types of problems that are affecting the structure and the manner in which the heart functions. Atherosclerosis or coronary heart disease are only two of the many conditions an individual might manifest.
The heart functions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is why it must be cared for and maintained as healthy as possible. This is why we made up a list of 10 natural herbs and spices that will help you take good care of your heart.
- Turmeric – The main compound is curcumin, known for the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It prevents the blood from clogging, enhancing its circulation and, as a result, lowers the risk of a heart attack. It can be used in cooking or it can be combined with a glass of milk every day. As a supplement, you can take 3 capsules a day, weighing from 250 to 600 g.
- Hawthorn – With a range that might vary from 160 to 1.800 mg per day in 2 or 3 doses that have been previously divided, hawthorn is known to help with the blood vessel dilation. This leads to a lower blood pressure and increases the blood flow to the heart, improving the cardiac muscle contractions.
- Hibiscus – You can drink a cup of hibiscus tea every day and if you suffer from atherosclerosis, your health condition will be significantly improved. It also helps lowering the blood pressure and the levels of sugar and lipids. The amount of extract that can be consumed daily is somewhere between 100-250 mg per day.
- Garlic – It’s very beneficial when it comes to its anti-inflammatory, anti-platelet and antithrombotic properties. You can eat 1/2 freshly-crushed clove of garlic every day or choose to take garlic supplements.
- Cayenne – Add about 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne to a cup filled with hot water and drink the combination every day for one week. The powerful antioxidant it contains, named capsaicin, has the ability of dilating the blood vessels, fighting oxidation and preventing the blood from clogging.
- Green tea – With an amount of 4-5 cups of green tea per day filled with flavonoids and antioxidants, you will reduce the cholesterol and triglycerides levels. At the same time, you will reduce the chances of a heart attack by 26%.
- Cinnamon – Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on your morning oatmeal cereals and you will protect your heart from diseases by reducing the blood pressure and by lowering the triglycerides level and the LDL cholesterol.
- Ginger – Drink ginger tea, hot or cold, 2 or 3 times a day, or use the root ginger and add it into soups or sauces. It fights the LDL cholesterol with its anti-inflammatory and blood-thinning properties. Also, the blood vessels will be more relaxed, leading to a better flow of blood through the body.
- Fenugreek – On an empty stomach, eat the fenugreek seeds after you have let them stay overnight in a bowl of water. They reduce cholesterol, lower the blood pressure and treat the arteries that have been blocked.
- Coriander – Boil a pot of water with a teaspoon of coriander, strain it and then drink it once a day. Your heart will thank you, as the coriander reduces the platelet aggregation, which can cause a deterioration in the blood flow that comes to the heart.