Thyroid disorder is a health condition that affects appreciatively 12 percent of the United States’ population. More than 30 millions of Americans suffer from a thyroid disorder and more than half are undiagnosed. Worldwide, this condition affects 430 million people.
One of the main aspects that triggers the appearance of thyroid disorder is iodine insufficiency. Our diets seem to lack this particular nutrient, thus the permanent increase of people suffering from this condition. In this view, a simplistic solution in preventing this condition from occurring might be including this nutrient in our daily diets.
Thyroid Disorder Symptoms
- Temperature sensitivity – unusual temperature swings
- Mood fluctuations – fluctuating feelings of anxiety and nervousness
- Appetite alterations – different, unexpected food preferences
- Reproductive disorders – infertility, premature birth
- Menstrual changes – abnormal menstrual bleeding accompanied by cramps, lasting more than usual
- Poor sleep – insomnia or permanent feeling of sleepiness
- Digestive problems – diarrhea, constipation, bloating problems
- Tiredness – general feelings of physical and mental unexplained exhaustion
- Brain fog – incapability to concentrate
Your thyroid hormones ought to regulate your metabolism, blood pressure and body temperature. Your thyroid hormones are utterly important in maintaining your body’s overall functions, as every cell in your body uses them. There are different thyroid disorders including Hyperthyroidism, which is less common, Hypothyroidism, which is the most common and Hashimoto’s disease, which is an autoimmune health condition.
What causes Thyroid Malfunction?
- Iodine insufficiency
- The exposure to environmental poisonous substances
- Pregnancy can often lead to thyroid disorder
- Graves – an autoimmune health condition that leads to an abnormal increase in the thyroid hormone
- Excessive physical, mental or emotional stress
- Plummer’s disease – a disease that affects the growth of the thyroid hormone
- Thyroiditis – an inflammation that determines the excess production of thyroid hormone
Adults, children and infants can suffer from thyroid malfunction. In this view, being so common, synthetic hormones are accessible for regulating your thyroid malfunction. Still, for this medicine to be effective, the thyroid of the patient should no longer function.
Now, let’s get acquainted with five superfoods that can help you prevent suffering from this harsh condition.
5 Superfoods that protect you from thyroid malfunction
- Coconut oil
- Baked potatoes – skins included
- Seaweed and seafood
- Yoghurt, eggs, cheese
5 Foods you should avoid for your thyroid health
- Refined sugar
- Hydrogenated oils
- Soy products
- Artificial sweeteners
- Gluten grains
At the moment, there is no effective treatment available for curing autoimmune diseases that often lead to thyroid malfunction. This is why it is crucial to concentrate on having a balanced diet and making healthy lifestyle choices. This isn’t the key to healing thyroid health, but it is utterly important for preventing the disease from occurring and in softening the symptoms.
Maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle is beneficial for your overall health, not only for protecting your thyroid.